Thursday, May 23, 2013

"The only thing that stays the same, is everything changes" - Tracy Lawrence



            I can remember being in the sixth grade sitting on the porch, listening to music on my friends cassette tape player. In 1980 when cassette tapes where popular, it was something that I wanted more than anything in the world. I was fascinated by being able to record songs from the radio, and share music with my friends. Popular culture is about change, society is a constantly changing, whether it's with technology, clothing, or music, one thing for certain is, it's going to change in the blink of an eye! A perfect example of change is with the cassette tape, as soon as the compact disc was developed, the cassette tape was no longer in use, viewed as being of poor sound quality, and difficult to find songs within the playlist. It's funny how when new technology is developed, the past technologies seem not so technologically advanced anymore. The compact disc is already being phased out, by MP3 audio files, and soon MP3 will be phased out by new technology. Over time everything changes, the popularity of an item changes on a daily basis. I’m a firm believer, “the only thing that stays the same, is everything changes.” - Tracy Lawrence

         

4 comments:

  1. Great blog post! It’s true that things in society are always changing, and sometimes very quickly. This is especially true in the area of technology. How we share things like music has come such a long way from cassette tape players! Sometimes it seems like things change so fast that it’s hard to keep up with it all. I like that you included the quote from Tracy Lawrence because it definitely captures the essence of popular culture in general. I also think it’s cool that you put in a video of songs from 1980. It’s a nice addition to your post, and I’m curious about anything from the 80’s. (I wasn’t born until 1988.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you used this as an artifact! I used to have one as well and I would listen to Hanson. Haha. I was much younger and it brings back a lot of memories. It truly shows how much times have changed. Even if it no longer exists in cassette form the new products show that it progressed as popular culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog post! Being a child born in the mid 70's this brings back so many memories from the 80's. I used to love thumbing threw my dads record and tape collection. And I remember the days of walking around with the boom box listening to Janet Jackson "Nasty" and Deniece Williams "Let's hear it for the boy" while my friends and I made up dance routines. It's amazing how quickly things have changed and I agree with you that CD's are hardly in existence now due to downloads from music sites to MP3 players and IPods. Myself I only have an MP3 player and still struggle with downloading music on it. I don't think I will advance to an IPod unless I absolutely have to. But I must say that it makes me sad that there are no music stores anymore. I would much rather go into a music store and purchase a CD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your post! I was born in 1980 so I didn't really understand the "hype" of a new gadget in the music world until the CD era. I do remember recording my favorite songs on cassettes and hoping to get the beginning at the perfect spot, I had a lot of commercials on tape lol. I also remember record players, we always went to my grandparents house every Sunday and listening to Herb Albert, my favorite as a kid, and dancing our socks off and, believe it or not, my dad still has his 8 tracks and the player, so I can say I have been exposed to all sorts of musical artifacts.

    ReplyDelete